Instructions for Authors
Submission of a manuscript implies
– that the work described has not been published before;
– that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere;
– that its publication has been approved by all co-authors, if any, as well as by the responsible authorities at the institute where the work has been carried out;
– that, if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatically transfer the copyright to the publisher;
– that the manuscript will not be published elsewhere in any language without the consent of the copyright holder;
– that the manuscript should be written in English, French or German.
The Editorial Process
To speed up publication and to ensure a unified layout throughout the journal, we require the use of LaTeX: The LaTeX class file birkjour.cls ready for use with the newer LaTeX versions (LaTeX2e) can be downloaded from the web page http://www.birkhauser-science.com/math/downloads as a zip file, birkjour.zip (see also link here below).
AEM will preferably consider only manuscripts about one (or more) of the preferred topics of the journal: functional equations, dynamical systems, iteration theory, combinatorics and geometry.
Papers on other subjects will be returned by the Editorial Office (as an exception, an Editor may recommend such a paper for consideration if it was submitted directly to him (not to the Editorial Office) and if she or he considers it as truly outstanding).
If your paper contains significant background or historical material of broad interest, you might consider preparing it as a survey paper, thereby gaining potentially a wider readership.
birkjour.zip (Download zip, 195 kB)
Format of Manuscripts
General Layout: Manuscripts must include a title as well as an abbreviated title (no more than 50 characters) that will be used as running head, the author’s name(s), an abstract, and the keywords. Please do not include equations in the title of your paper.
All authors should give their complete addresses along with an e-mail address.
The authors are kindly asked to match their typographical style to the usual standard in aequationes mathematicae.
The AMS MSC 2000 Mathematics Subject Classification codes should be added, if applicable.
Abstract: Manuscripts must include a self-contained abstract in English. It should not exceed 25 lines and should be of sufficient length to describe the main results of the paper.
General Remarks: We request that neither overfull nor underfull boxes are contained in the text, that equations or formulas do not exceed the indicated text width, and that hyphenations as well as the page breaks have been checked.
Figures and Tables: Figures and tables should be limited to those required for clear communication and are to be referenced in the text. Illustrations and diagrams should be of good quality. As figures may be reduced for printing, the lettering should not be too small. The publisher reserves the right to reduce or enlarge illustrations and diagrams.
Figures should be sent as:
– part of the document within a ?picture? environment.
– EPS-files (encapsulated PostScript), with no reference to fonts which are not TeX, PostScript Base 35- or MathPifonts.
References: The literature should be referred to by numbers in square brackets in the text. In the bibliography at the end of the manuscript, the references should be listed in alphabetical order and numbered accordingly.
For bibliographic references the style and abbreviations of Mathematical Reviews should be used. A list of abbreviations of serials can be found in each volume of Mathematical Reviews.
Whenever possible, please replace all references to papers accepted for publication, preprints or technical reports by the above-mentioned reference style, provided the article has already been published or accepted for publication.